Tuesday, June 14, 2011 | By: δοῦλος

Dear ___________

Dearest Jack Rabbit,
To my dismay, I have peered into the small window of your life and seen things that I wish I did not see. It brings to mind past regrets; things I dreamed of telling you at the time, but ended up failing to speak in my little pool of fears. I'm going to start with a story and I would like you to take this story seriously, so please listen...
Imagine us as ants. Our colony has, out of blatant stupidity, built our anthill out of piles of crumbs. Obviously we cannot survive much longer with this home, for the coyote is coming to lick it up within a matter of hours. However, for reasons I cannot explain, a human being of much greater strength became an ant in order to save our colony. This ant built up another anthill with all the accommodations we needed to survive, but ended up dying in the process. 
Wouldn't you agree that this human being that became an ant was a bit absurd for wanting to save our colony? 
Why would he do such a thing?
I'm hoping that this story somehow rings a bell, or that you are making a connection with another story, for I was trying to convey the gospel of Jesus Christ to you. We are the ants, Jesus was the human in the story, and the coyote was Satan. Jesus, the Son of God, willingly gave up his life in crucifixion that we may be saved from our "stupid" sin. Just as it was a bit shameful to become an ant and die for the colony, so it was to become a human and die for us. Jesus' story did not end in death, however, because He conquered death and rose from the dead three days later! By this act, He gave us grace in letting us conquer death in sin by repenting of our sin and putting our full faith in Him. 
HOW LONG I have desired to share this good news with you, and honestly, it is one of my worst regrets. A few years back I recall standing in the hall asking you if you were a christian. You had said yes, but I asked you because I saw no fruit in your life. Therefore, I followed up with the question of ‘how do you know that you are?’; you had responded with ‘because my parents are?’. My heart sank, wanting so badly to tell you that christianity is a personal relationship with Jesus, it cannot be treated like an ethnicity that is just passed down to the next generation. Unfortunately, I kept my mouth shut and pretended like all was well. 
When I was with you I do not remember being the best example of what God's love looks like. A life living for Christ is one that consists of sacrifice in pursuing righteousness for Him. I would have shown you His love by sacrificing my pride and ignoring my fear of man in sharing the gospel that you may be saved too. In my silence I did not live out Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel for it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes; first for the jew, then for the gentile.".
So when I see you drinking and partying, it greatly saddens me. There was a day when I told you that I would always love you, and honestly I can say that I still do. I love you as a friend that I have lost to sin...a friend that I have prayed for for years. Your salvation has been prayed for so many times that I cannot count, but I admit, there were times when I got distracted and forgot to pray for you. This may be considered a reminder to continue praying, for I know that God is all powerful, and can save you just as He has saved a sinner like me. 
Maybe one day I will see you again here on earth, but my hope is in God's saving power. I would much rather be with you worshipping God in heaven for eternity, than to have that chance to spend time with you every week here. Who knows...maybe you will be the last one to be saved before Christ's return. Maranatha. 
-The Jaguar

0 comments:

Post a Comment