Wednesday, April 3, 2013 | By: δοῦλος

Ed-you-mah-kay-shun.

Does anything get you excited about school? This is a serious question. The latest essay assignment I have been working on is about the American school system; identify what you think the main problem is and three aspects of that issue. We had some great discussions in class today as we presented our powerpoints, (mainly on the lack of motivation, funds, etc.) and on the way home from school I kept thinking to myself, "how can I correlate my knowledge and education with Biblical concepts? 

At the end of class this evening we were told to write about our most "successful" school year and why we thought it was the most successful. We also had to identify what "successful" meant to us in that context. I chose to write about my senior year in high school when I ditched P.E. and math. That year, I  felt entitled to a more relaxed schedule and to classes that I truly wanted to take, for after three years of failing to cram mathematical equations in my head and making a fool of myself in athletics, I was done. It certainly was easier to get good grades on the other subjects. During my senior year, I enjoyed being in class and learning "different types" of subjects (for the most part). Bible Literature, Advanced Composition, Anatomy and Physiology, Photography; I remember concepts from each class because I was interested in the subject, and so was the teacher. 

So as I'm driving down Serrano, I'm wondering why God gives us these special interests in school. I'm thinking more outside of the body of Christ. I was reminded of an earlier, and very brief, text conversation with my college bestie earlier this week, (or 2 weeks ago, I don't remember). After browsing facebook for a bit, I got depressed about how such an amazing thing, the internet, can be used for such great evil. My fellow sister in Christ reminded me that good things have always been perverted since Adam and Eve, and that the internet was just another victim of our sin. I had to remind myself that math in itself is not an evil thing, so why do I think of it as such? I don't understand it, therefore it's horrible. I recognize that the Fall has prevented me from obtaining that knowledge. 

But imagine an educational world without the effects of sin. Imagine being able to understand every subject the first time it was taught. I would cry tears of joy if I just, out of the blue, began to understand mathematical concepts that have been taught hundreds of times throughout my school years. And, it would be miraculous if I actually learned how to play sports and play them well! 

I don't recall much from my college chemistry course, (sorry Doc, the chem. concepts just never made it through those membranous doors!) but I do remember our first lecture on Christ. I have a feeling, he wouldn't be too displeased with that answer anyways, because it has shaped my views on education probably more than he knows! This is what I got from it: Jesus is all knowing; as Christians we need to become more like Jesus; therefore, knowledge is a good thing that we should strive for to become more like Him. 

God created language. He created science. He created math. He created the arts. He knows all. We obviously cannot obtain every little bit of information in our fallen brains, but He has blessed us with the ability to obtain some. When I think about our educational system, I must admit, I quickly see failures. I very much want to complain about how I've just regurgitated the same information multiple times to get to where I am today without learning. However, as I analyze our educational system, I find myself more appreciative of the person of Jesus. Luke's account of 12 year old Jesus in chapter 2 gives us a picture of the sinless student, listening and asking questions of his teachers. Not too long afterwards, Jesus is the picture of the perfect teacher, attending to His students questions and answering them in a unique way, knowing their capabilities and what would best benefit them. The student- teacher relationship is precious, and each occupation should be seen as honorable, for Jesus was both! And of course, to this day He still teaches. 

School is a common grace, and the knowledge we will receive in heaven as Christians is unfathomable! It makes me want to thank the good Lord for education! (Weird how I said that...)

Come, Oh Lord. Maranatha. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment